Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Odyssey: Part 2 Nafplio


My only picture of Nafplio

Just a two hour drive from Athens is the beautiful seaside town of Nafplio. We stayed at the Byron Hotel. Lord Byron died in Greece fighting against the Turks and they named this hotel after him. It was a pretty nice place, but the rooms are very small.

It was about this time that we found out YaYa was in the hospital in this very city. She had fallen off a chair and cut her head. She was okay, but because she was in her nineties they were going to watch her for a day or two.

We went to go visit her that day at the hospital. It was my first time meeting her and one of the only words she knew in English was "beautiful." She kept calling me that and holding my hand. She spoke to The Greek a lot and he kept laughing and laughing. Evidently, she's a pretty funny woman. We had a great visit.

A few days later we were able to take her to back to her village. She stayed with the lady who had been helping to care for her over the last few years.

2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

Favorite line of this post: "Evidently, she's a pretty funny woman." That makes me chuckle :).

Ria's Random Thoughts said...

I wish I could have understood her more. She was so funny I was laughing most of the time even if I didn't get the translation fast enough. I can understand a lot of Greek by the way they talk with their hands.