Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Odyssey: Part 9 The Final Chapter


This is probably one of my favorite pictures of me in Greece. My face kinda says it all. I thought that soldier statue behind me was pretty hot, but not hotter than the guy taking my picture.

No, seriously, our trip was amazing and a lot of good came out of it. Like YaYa getting to come live out the rest of her days with her daughter (The Greek's mom) in America.

From the left: YaYa, The Greek, The Greek's dad, The Greek's mom, and The Teen in back.

The only complaint I have about the trip, besides the anti-American feeling I had from a few people (like I mentioned in my last post), is a very personal one.

After we were in Greece a couple of days and I didn't have a hotel close by, I had the occasion to use a public restroom. You must know one thing, I was raised to be able to go to the bathroom anywhere. My family camped and did road trips quite often. So the side the road or in the woods didn't intimated me when I was younger.

Anyways, so I walked into my first public restroom in Greece and opened the door to the stall. I had to do a double take because I couldn't believe what I saw. The toilet had no seat on it. I thought it was broken, so I went to the next one. Again, no seat. So, I tried it. Nothing. I couldn't do it. I walked out of the bathroom and told The Greek he needed to find me a toilet seat and fast. I guess I wasn't as rugged as I used to be.

I don't know if it was the next day or that same day, but when we visited YaYa's village I had to go to the bathroom. Bad. We went to the town store first and told them my predicament. A very nice lady led me around the back to the bathroom. I opened the door to a very clean tiled room with a hole in the floor and a rope attached to the wall. I thought to myself, "Are you kidding me?"

I walked out and told The Greek that I needed a toilet with a SEAT! We tried YaYa's house. No toilet seat. Ugh. I turned to The Greek and pleaded my case. We drove quickly to the house that YaYa was staying at while she convalesced. The Greek told them I needed to use their bathroom. The lady of the house quickly showed me the way. I held my breath as she opened the door.

Yes! A toilet with a seat! Wahoo! I didn't say that, but I think she could see it on my face. Let me just say here, luckily I just had to pee because after I was done I couldn't figure out how to flush the darn thing. I can't remember exactly what I did after that, but The Greek just told me it's not important. And really it's not.

Suffice it to say, I held it A LOT on that trip.

No comments: