Sunday, March 6, 2011

And a Little Child Shall Lead Them

I've been teaching Primary for about 23 years. The first class I taught when I was 18 or 19 years old. My nephew was about 4 years old and in my class. He is now a dad with two boys. I remember he was my best student. He always answered everything correctly and sat in his seat. He was pretty thrilled to have his aunt teach his class.

We have been in our current ward for 13 years now. My first calling in this ward was as a CTR 5 teacher. One of my students, who is still in our ward, just turned 18. I told him the other week that his little brother who sits in front of  me in sharing time reminds me so much of him. I asked him if he remembered being in my class. He said he did. I told him he used to wear a suit every week and was the only one who answered any questions.

His sister had passed away that year I taught him and he would talk about her a lot. I was losing my dad to cancer and would tell him I understood how he was feeling. I don't know if he remembers that now, but it was a very sweet experience for me. He has turned out to be a really amazing young man. I knew he would.

Yesterday two of my CTR 6 students from last year got baptized. They are both great kids. I'll never forget the picture one of them drew of Christ. He worked on it so carefully. I asked him to tell me about it. He said it was a picture of the Savior. I asked him what was the stuff he drew around him. He told me it was His light. I tried hard to hold back my tears.

The other student who got baptized is a very pretty little girl. I always admired her beautiful golden locks. At the beginning of this year she stopped me in the hall to say hello. I noticed she had cut her gorgeous hair. I asked her why. She said she gave it all to Locks of Love. I had to hold back my tears again.

I love teaching these sweet little kids every week. I know I've learned more from them about being Christ-like than I could ever teach them. They are perfect examples of love and obedience like He is.

1 comment:

Lisa R.D. said...

I loved reading about the sweet kids in our ward... we are blessed to have so many strong young people. I agree, we definitely learn more from them than they do from us.