Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mrs. Knight

I've had some outstanding English teachers in my years of education. I learned yesterday that one of the best passed away over the weekend. I was sad to hear that, but amazed to learn that she was still teaching at my high school that I attended. She has been teaching for 32 years at San Pasqual High School.

Margie Knight was my 12th grade English teacher. She was a feisty little woman and a tough, but very good teacher. You knew what she expected of you and you wanted to deliver.

I remember one of the papers I wrote in her class. It was comparing and contrasting a contemporary song with a poem from the past. It was amazing to me, to find ideas and values the same in two pieces of art written hundreds of years apart. That was my first experience in comparing and contrasting literature at that level. It inspired me to write and get a degree in English Literature, which I loved.

A good teacher is priceless. Their influence is like a ripple in a pond. They create a legacy that lives on in their students and is passed on to the next generation and the next.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

How I loved Mrs. Knight! I took her English class in 11th grade and loved it so much, took her again for my senior year.

The one assignment I remember was finding a poem and a music video that had the same message. "Compare and Contrast" was her major emphasis! Since MTV was brand new, and my mother hated it, I had an excuse to sit and watch each video with my finger on the Record button of our VHS recorder.
Finally, I found Eye of the Tiger by Survivor. I don't know how it fit the poem I had chosen, but I remember it was perfect.
Mike Connor and I returned to her class to visit her a year or so after graduation to tell her she was a great teacher.
I completed my bachelor's degree in English Lit and my daughter is a senior at BYU in English Lit.
She will live on in my mind with that crazy Boston accent and using "itself" three times in a sentence!

Ria's Random Thoughts said...

I love it! Thanks Kristi.