Thursday, April 7, 2011

Age is Just a Number

I am 41.

When I was younger I never imagined or planned my life after 40. It's not that I didn't think I'd ever live that long, it's just that I didn't think much would happen after 40.

I thought by 40 I would have my husband and my children. I thought that I would be done with school and my career would be in full swing.

I thought I would be living in my dream home and everything would be perfect. And I wouldn't have much else to do or think about.

Some of that has happened and some hasn't. But I find myself at 41 wondering what the other half of my life is going to be like.

I find myself excited and sad that in nine years I will be an empty nester.

I find myself happy that I picked the right guy to share another 40 years or more with.

I find myself very content that I finished my bachelor's degree and don't have any desire to go back to school.

I find that my career as an editor wasn't what I wanted and that being a writer is harder than I thought. And I don't really know what I want to be when I grow up, except happy.

I find that my dream home is where my heart is. And my family is my heart.

And I find that I really like my forties.

2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

Great thoughts!

Ria's Random Thoughts said...

I never thought I would feel this way when I was 20 or 30. Life gets better and better.