Friday, May 20, 2011

A Dream Come True

All my high school and college years I dreamed of going to France. I studied french since I was a freshman in high school. When I graduated from college I told The Greek I was going. He didn't think he could afford to go also at the time, so he and The Teen (who was only two at the time) went to his mom's house in L.A. for the week I was gone. The Greek regretted that big time. The Teen told everyone he saw that his mom was in France. I wonder what his little mind thought of that?

Anyways, I didn't want to go by myself so I asked my sister, Martha Stewart, if she would go with me. Then her husband said, "Hey, I want to go too." So he did. We will call him Desperado. Why? That's the song he always sang back then. It just makes me giggle.

So, April of 1997 I was headed to France to make my dream come true. Even the flight over was incredible. When we got there it was like Dorothy landing in Oz. Everything was so french. I was in heaven.

Martha and I arriving in France

Do I look happy or what?

An excerpt from my journal:

Arrived in Paris at 8:35 am Thursday morning. Took the metro to our hotel and left our luggage there. We went to the train station and headed out to Versailles. Versailles was closed, but there were crowds of people  walking around the grounds. Everything was much bigger than I expected. We walked around the grounds, which were beautiful. There were 3 chateaux there. The main one and two smaller ones.

Martha striking a pose.


The back of Versailles

The Hameau, where Marie-Antoinette used to play peasant, was lovely. It looked like a perfect little peasant village with houses, gardens, and even a large pond in the center. This was outside of the smallest chateau where she liked to stay.

Desperado in front of Marie's little pretend village.

After that we went back to our hotel and collapsed.

3 comments:

Vern said...

Wanna go again? Maybe I'll come with you this time. Actually, Cory and I think you should accompany us to Greece sometime. What do you think?

Ria's Random Thoughts said...

That would be fun! Anytime.

Lisa R.D. said...

Oh! This makes me nostalgic for the trains and the chateaux and the everything in Paris. I am so glad you decided to go and did!