Friday, June 17, 2011

Ode to Scout Leaders

I have a very special place in my heart for scout leaders. They are among those I consider my heroes. In our church our scout leaders and young men's leaders are one in the same. They serve these young men on weekdays as well as Sundays. They teach them the gospel and they teach them life skills. They train them to become leaders as well.

One of the reasons we haven't moved after 13 years of living in our home is because of the scout leaders in our ward. They are amazing.

What's even more amazing is that almost all of them have been serving in scouting over the last 13 years and more. Once a scout leader, always a scout leader. It's because they truly love scouting and the young men they serve.

Right now The Teen is spending the week in Havasupai with his friends and about 6 of his scout leaders. It's actually not a "scouting" trip I found out. They won't let them do something like that. I'm not sure of the reason. But, our awesome young men's leaders love going to Havasupai. It is quite the spectacular adventure.

My Dad spent years and years as a scout leader. Even when he wasn't officially a "scout leader" he was taking the boys water skiing or snow skiing or on some adventure. He loved it. He had no sons, but lots and lots of adopted sons through scouting. We would visit them for years after they were all grown up. See, once a scout leader, always a scout leader.

When I was a baby he built a trimaran sailboat with his scout troop.

Yes, I said SAILBOAT.

His Scouts in front of their masterpiece.

He even made the hardware for it. Don't ask me how you do that, but he did.


That's my Mom and my three older sisters on the left and the Scouts on the right.


Captain Bob

Happy boys!

After my Dad died, my mother received the sweetest letter from one of his scouts. In it he talked about the great influence my Dad had on him. He was inactive in the church and his single mother was having a difficult time raising a rebellious teenage boy on her own. He said his life could have taken a very different path without the influence of my Dad. He expressed his gratitude for all the mentoring that my father provided for him. My Dad got him into BYU after they rejected him and then he served a mission. He grew up to be a husband, father, and a stake president. He said when he died there are lots of people he'd like to meet, but my Dad would be the first person he would look for to say thank you.

Scout leaders have a very special place in heaven for all the service they give.

Let's hope The Teen makes it home safely tomorrow.

3 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

Scout leaders are great, aren't they? Even though we don't have boys old enough to be in Scouts (yet) we have seen the blessings of the Scouting program. Ryan can tell you why it can't be a Scout trip :).

Woody said...

Having been one of those scout leaders, this means a lot to me. Thank you!

Ria's Random Thoughts said...

Oh I think I know why Lisa. They had a great time and I worried every minute of it.

Woody you are one of Zac's favorites. He's told me so many times.