Friday, July 1, 2011

Chateau de Chenonceau

Have you ever been somewhere that you can almost see what took place there hundreds of years ago?

Where you can feel history.

I have.

At Chenonceau.

Chateau de Chenonceau

My favorite place I walked, saw, and listened in France.

Hundreds of years of Kings, Queens, Mistresses, Revolutions and World Wars.

It was so long ago that I barely remember the facts of what took place there, but I do remember the hairs on the back of my neck standing up when I saw the Queen's chapel and her guards' names etched into the limestone walls dating back hundreds of years. They were gone, yet their names remained.

I remember the feeling of loneliness when gazing out the Queen's sitting room onto the flowing river below the chateau.

I remember the feeling of not knowing how many men suffered and died in the great hall that stretches to the shore opposite the entrance of Chenonceau. This castle has played a part in more than one war.



I remember the romance of the place as I strolled along the river and into the forest. The sound of songbirds softly chirping in the trees. And the tomb sitting in the softly lit clearing. Who it belonged to, I don't know.



I remember feeling happily haunted as I walked down the road to the Queen's maze carrying a piece of Chenonceau over my shoulder.

I look at it every day and remember those feelings of history.

No comments: