Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Old School

I thought I'd start a new category today. I hope it doesn't offend anyone. I spent the first 19 years of my life in sunny California. The next 23 years of my life I've spent in Utah. I am that weird mixture of Californian and Utahan. There's actually quite a lot of us. Californian Transplants, that is.
Utah is a special place. It is unique. I love living here. But there are a few things about this place that are pretty foreign to me. It comes up quite a bit between The Greek and I. And my extended family.
Over the last week or two there has been much discussion going on about how you ask a girl to Homecoming. The Teen turned to me because his father only dated older women with children in high school. Sorry that's an inside joke between The Greek and I.
Anyways, I told The Teen I was asked to Homecoming three times. Once through a note and twice in person. I only went to Homecoming twice, however. I had to back out of my Senior year homecoming because the young man was a loser. He was saying things about me that were not true. Luckily a nicer guy asked me a week before the dance and I went with him instead.
Anyways, back to The Teen. He was fine with asking her in person, but knew that things are much different in Utah. You must think of a creative way to ask the girl and she must answer back in an even more creative way. For many years I have made fun of this tradition. But after last night, I've changed my mind and think it's very sweet. And definitely more romantic.
The Teen got a t-shirt and wrote his name on it with permanent marker and the names of several other guys that go to their school in washable marker. He left it on her doorstep last night with instructions to wash the shirt to find out who is asking her to Homecoming and then doorbell ditched it.
Hopefully, The Teen will have his answer soon. See, definitely more romantic. Silly, but so sweet.
Don't we need more old fashion things like this for our Teens?

1 comment:

Lisa R.D. said...

That is a great idea! I am sure she will love it (and say yes!). I'm glad to see you have been enlightened in the Utah dating rituals :D.