Saturday, November 19, 2011

Friends

The Tween's Birthday Party
You can never have too many friends. Have you ever heard anyone say, "I just have too many friends, I need to get rid of a few." Well, maybe if they're talking about "Facebook" friends. But, I'm talking about real friends. People you have lunch with, invite to a birthday party, call from time to time or maybe those you turn to when you need someone to talk to. Real friends.
It's a good thing when your Tween has only a few spaces to fill on a space simulator, but wants to invite 20 or so friends to his party. I told him to think about it and get back to me. It was still hard to whittle down the list. But, that's a good thing.
I've been blessed to grow up with parents with lots of friends. So many that when we were on vacation, and it didn't matter where, there was always some friend of theirs to stay with overnight or visit for the afternoon.
When I met The Greek, I was impressed with the fact that no matter where we went, we were always running into a friend of his. The Teen is the same. We'll be watching TV and a friend of his will be on the news or in a local commercial. He's not afraid of going to EFY (church camp) by himself or sitting on an airplane by himself because he loves making friends. You should see his Facebook list. He has friends he's met from all around the world.
The Kid is funny. He only likes to invite one friend over to play. And only certain friends to birthday parties. But if I walk around school with him, everyone who passes says hello and calls him by name. I'm always asking why he doesn't invite them over. He's very selective. But still claims them as his friends.
I've tried over the years to keep in touch with friends. Christmas cards, visits, and phone calls have helped. Facebook has been an incredible tool for staying connected with new and old friends. Book Club in our neighborhood has been going strong for close to a decade now. We joke that we come for the food, but it is the friendships that we've built over the years that keeps us discussing and laughing until midnight. I feel very blessed for the friends that I've made over the years.

2 comments:

Sara White said...

What a great post. I am glad we are friends. I am glad our kids are friends too.

Lisa R.D. said...

Excellent post! I was just thinking about how blessed I feel to be surrounded (figuratively and literally) by so many good friends. I feel grateful to count you as one of them!