Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sunset Over Paris

Friday morning we returned to the Opera house. Yesterday the theater was closed for rehearsal, so luckily on our way out we got our tickets stamped so we could return for free. It was worth coming back to see the theater the Phantom haunted (if he were real). What I really wanted to see was the ceiling painted by Marc Chagall.
Next we headed up to Sacre Coeur Basilica, a little sketchier part of Paris, but not as bad as I thought. The Basilica was beautiful and we got there just in time to hear the nuns singing (praying). The best way to walk up to the church is around the side. It is very green and park like. We saw a lovely couple having their wedding pictures taken and lots of great street performers.
After we left the church we went through another church to the left of Sacre Coeur. St. Pierre de Montmartre was built in the 12th century. I think this was my favorite even though it was very small and very plain. There was an amazing life size wood carving of Christ on the cross at the entrance to the little chapel. It was incredible how his hair hung in his face. My Dad, who was a talented woodcarver, would have loved it.
There were lots of artists painting in the square at the top of the hill by the churches. We then walked around Montmartre and saw the place where Vincent Van Gogh lived and the cafe where they filmed, one of my favorite movies, Amelie. We had a hard time finding some other things on our map, but we took the bus back up the hill before we completely collapsed from exhaustion.
Later that evening we saw Monet's Water Lily series at the L'Orangerie museum and then walked thorough the Tuileries Garden, stopped for a snack, and then saw the Louvre. I told the Greek to pick some things to see because you can't see everything, it would take a week. He picked Venus de Milo, the Mona Lisa and some other things. I picked Winged Victory, Vermeer, and the Napoleon Apartments. We ran into a few Di Vinci's along the way. We wanted to see the Egyptian wing, but because of remodeling we had a hard time finding it and never actually did. I saw it the last time I was there, but oh well.
That night we had dinner at Auberge de la Reine back on our island. I had Coq au Vin, which I didn't like. But I loved my appetizer, a Provencal Tart. It was more like a salad. The Greek had a giant salad with salmon and he loved it. We meet a great couple from Seattle sitting next to us and talked to them for hours. They are quite the world travelers and were heading to Provence the next day to find a house to rent for their kids and grandkids to stay in with them. Someday I'd liked to do that.
Marc Chagall's ceiling inside the Opera Garnier theater.
Sacre Coeur
Steps to the Basilica of the Sacre Coeur
St. Pierre de Montmartre
Beautiful woodcarving of Christ.
Not a good picture, but I had to show a close up.
Classic windmill
Van Gogh lived here, I guess?
Amelie worked here.
Le Louvre
Sunset over Paris.

1 comment:

RyanH said...

Ahhh Paris, I loved reading about your trip! Makes me want to go back, although I'm not sure I could get Lisa to go along... ;)