Monday, September 16, 2013

Spanglish


Buenos Dias Familia y Amigos!!!

Yet again another amazing week. It’s getting hard to type in English and I keep saying weird Spanglish words when I talk to people in English! We’ve been having a lot of success and I am absolutely loving it here.

First off, baptism yesterday. It was incredible, the spirit was so strong. The man who got baptized, his name is E and he is from Ecuador, my companion baptized him. He is such a cool guy. The missionaries sang a song at his baptism too. I played the piano to the tune of Come Thou Fount and they sang with me the words from Joseph Smith’s First Prayer. It fits together perfectly and it was a way cool experience.

Wednesday I went on an exchange with Elder P who was in the MTC with me. My companion had to go up to Aviles for a baptismal interview. We pretty much contacted the whole day because we only had one lesson. We had about 5 minutes left until we had to go back to our piso (apartment). P wanted to just end the night, but I had a strong impression that we needed to use those 5 minutes. With 2 left we found this girl who came around the corner. We started talking to her and we got her number. She kept saying, “Llamame Llamame! No olvida!” Which means, “Call me Call me! Don't forget.” She is 19 years old and she is a Spaniard. Take in mind this was Wednesday. Now she has already been to 3 activities and taken one discussion. Definition of a golden investigator. She's awesome. She loved the Plan of Salvation lesson, and we are inviting her to be baptized tomorrow.

Also, we set a baptism date with F. He is from Columbia and he cuts our hair. We’ve been having a great time here with our investigators; the Lord has truly blessed us.

I watched 17 Miracles for the first time the other day. Holy wow, I loved it. I don’t cry very much, but with that movie the tears were flowing. Remember my trip two weeks before I left? We visited almost all those sights that were in that movie, and I had heard most of the stories. You think missionary work is hard? Try being a pioneer. Amazing.

I said, “Santa Vaca” the other day in front of the members and they laughed so hard. I guess that “Holy Cow” isn’t a common term here. They all say "Santa Vaca" a lot now. Setting trends in Spain. My companion and me teach English classes every week and I have been teaching them some funny things. Just picture a bunch of Spaniards walking around saying, “What’s up man?” “Are you talking to me?” “Say it again to my face.” I should probably teach them some other things. I love it when they say, “These are my stretchy pants” though. It’s just too funny. We’ve been playing a lot of futbol and basketball too. They call me Lebron James, because honestly... basketball isn’t a big sport here. So there are a lot of air balls. I’m also teaching some of the kids piano! They can all play Fur Elise now. Little Beethovens.

I hope all is well at home! Love you all.

Elder Giforos

No comments: