Monday, December 9, 2013

Fresh Air

My family and friends!!

So this week was awesome! In Spain it's so cool because there are so many people from different parts of the world. I've learned about so many different cultures and FOOD. We've had Brazilian food, Italian, Peruvian, Ecuadorian, Middle Eastern, Spanish, a ton! The members here are really good people. I think I could serve my whole mission in Oviedo.

Ok story time. We were at a new investigators house and she gave us some really spicy guacamole. It's been a while since I've had guacamole. Anyway, we're eating and she brings out two orange drinks that look like soda. We start drinking and I notice it tastes kinda weird... Then I see Elder A checking out the side info. I thought it was just because the guacamole was spicy. As we both finished it I noticed that it tastes like what I smell when I walk by the bars everyday. Alcohol. We confirmed that it did have alcohol in it later with Elder V. Never thought that the first time I would drink alcohol would be on my mission!! We felt a little weird after, it was really funny haha.

I was with a new Elder on Thursday from Avilles. His name is Elder R from Pleasant Grove. It's crazy how I had to go thousands of miles away to meet people who lived ten minutes from me. We had a good day together and it was fun to be able to train him a little bit. He only has a week out in the field.

On Saturday we had 2 baptisms here in Oviedo. I had the opportunity to baptize a little 9 year girl named D. I can't describe the feeling of missionary work. It is the purest form of happiness and joy. I love having the opportunity to work so close with the Lord and his Spirit. The water was freezing but they were both baptized. Her and her mom. It was a perfect day.

Today for P-day we went way up in the mountains and helped a family with their new land they just bought. I went Indiana Jones on everything because they gave me a machete :) I've always wanted to use a machete on my mission. I also spent 2 hours ripping a tree stump out of the ground. That's hard work. It felt good to do some manual labor out in the sun. Yes the sun.. It's been kind of hot for December.
I love you all and I'm excited to see you soon. Skype Call. I'm going to set that up right now and send the info.

Elder Giforos












2 comments:

Becca said...

Hi Ria!
I just came across your blog by accident (if there is such a thing) and realized our children know each other! My daughter, Hermana Diezi (from Switzerland) is also serving in the Spain Madrid Mission and was recently transferred back to Madrid after serving 6 months in Gijón (the town next to Oviedo). Her companions were Hermana King and Hermana Grover.
It's a special time to have a child on a mission and we feel so blessed.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Warmest regards,
Rebecca Diezi

rebecca.diezi@dtc.ch

Ria said...

That is so great! I just sent you an email.