Monday, January 27, 2014

My Cousin's Cousin

Everybody,
Alright first off... Max is wearing my hat. There's a long story about that hat. He looks good though.
This week was another fan-freaking-tastic week. The mission's amazing.
We headed down to Leon on Wednesday for Zone meeting. And I saw.... Elder Davis! He's in my zone now, it was great to see him and catch up with him. Seems like he's doing awesome. He's a really good missionary. A little "Cousin's cousin" reunion.
Me and Elder B went on companion exchanges the other day. A little story about Elder B. Back in my high school days I was going to go on a date with a girl up in Logan. A double date. Turns out the other couple was Elder B and his date. It ended up that I couldn't go on the date that day, but if I had of gone I would have met Elder B. Looks like we were supposed to be best friends because we met in Spain. He's awesome. Anyway, we had a sick companion exchange and it was on the day of our 6 month marks. That was cool spending that day of my mission with him.
We had a branch activity on Saturday. We went up to a park and played futbol for 3 hours. Then we played basketball and ate after. We had Horchata, that stuff is dang good. Me and Elder B did a penguin slide down a huge hill because it was raining. Bad idea. We got pretty muddy and ended up somersaulting down the hill at high speeds. It was fun. Also, on the way up we rode with a member in his car. The Beastie Boys came on the radio. Let's just say I had a smile that whole car ride. It's been a while.
So we met a pirate this week. He's a good buddy of mine now. We met him in the street the other day. He speaks 14 different languages, has one solid dread-lock of ALL his hair and he's a little nuts. But I love the guy! I shook his hand and I noticed it didn't feel like a normal handshake. I looked down and saw that he doesn't have a thumb. That's probably why. He told me the history of the song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2 (which I already knew) then he started singing it at the top of his lungs! Such an awesome guy. My pirate buddy.
We had the opportunity to take the sacrament to a lady named J and her son J. They have a really awesome story. J is from Chile and her husband S is from Arizona. S served his mission in Chile.... and their love story goes from there. They're an awesome couple and have the cutest Spanish and English speaking kids.
We visited my Brazilian friend L the other day and he played his guitar for us again. We sang songs together and played the guitar. It was actually a really spiritual experience. I've always felt the spirit very strong through music my whole life. L plays songs by Nirvana, U2, RHCP, Guns'n Roses, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." All the good stuff. He also plays some hymns on the guitar too. Definitely inspired me to learn the guitar after my mission.
Some things I learned this week:
You can make friends forever by offering the Gospel.
We don't faithfully obey the Lord's commandments to be seen by other people, but those who observe our happiness are being prepared by the Lord to hear the good news of the Restoration of the Gospel.
Also, I've learned that excuses are easy to find; they spring up as readily and plentifully as weeds by the wayside. What type of people are we going to be? Or even this, what kind of members of Jesus Christ's church are we going to be? One's who give excuses when opportunities to serve are given to us? We pray for opportunities to serve and oft times we reject them with an excuse. Seek for and accept opportunities to serve one another. They are blessings from our Heavenly Father to help us grow. Be perfect members of this Church and if you fail, which we all do almost daily, let our Savior lift you up and try again. As long as we try with all of our strength and effort we will be blessed.
Well, it's been a great week as always. You all know that I love you and pray for you. Peace out till next week!!

Elder Giforos
My cousin's cousin Elder Davis.
Six months serving in Spain!

No comments: