Monday, February 24, 2014

No Man is an Island

Everyone,
I'm really happy. The Lord has blessed me in so many ways. I cannot imagine a more perfect place than where I am serving right now. The people here are amazing. I have seen many miracles within the short couple of days that I've been here. I have a couple things I want to share from this week.

We got here last week and got all settled in. It feels like I've been here longer than I have, I'm glad I got settled in pretty quickly. The island is tiiiiiiny and I love it so much. You could seriously walk from one side to the other in 1 hour. There is a rule on the island that all the buildings have to be white. A lot of rocks here and just ocean everywhere. There are these little white crabs here that you can only find on this island in the whole world. They call the bus the "GuaGua" and yes it sounds like a baby saying "WaWa." Pretty funny. I never ever thought that I would be serving on an island, especially on one this small. It's amazing!! And again, the people here are so nice and open. The work here is awesome.

We had our first District Meeting. Everything went really well and I'm starting to get used to being the District Leader. It's a lot of fun. We do District Meetings with cameras. So we go to our church and the Elders on the other island go to there church and we talk through a camera haha. It's different but fun.

First Sunday here was crazy. 5 minutes before the meeting we found out that one of the missionaries needs to give a talk... Ok. So I took one for the team and winged it for 12 minutes. It actually went really well. I spoke about patience and perfect examples of patience. Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith were perfect examples of patience. They knew that their trials were necessary for our benefit, so that we could succeed. So they endured with patience. It was a good talk.

We went with one of our investigators to her church. Let me talk about that for a second.... She's from Africa and she has a 1 year old kid named D. He always gives me head nods like, "Whazzup." He's funny. Anyway, we're walking to church with her and I start to hear music. As we get closer, it gets louder and louder. We go in and everyone was dancing and singing. Crazy crazy. I look at who's playing the drums and it's this little 7 year old!!! He was dang good too! And yes of course we were the only 3 white people in that room. It was a nice experience.

A lady who was a teacher at the MTC when I was there is in my ward. It was good to see her and catch up. She just got married and moved here. We went to their house last night and told a bunch of missionary stories. They both served missions.

Anyway, an awesome week. The members are amazing and the people too. I love my companions, Elder H and Elder C. We're already all best buds. A lot of great things are going to happen here. I'm so excited.

Love you all,

Elder Giforos


No comments: