Monday, April 7, 2014

We Are The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


I'm so happy! This has been an awesome week. Elder S is my new comp and he's a serious brother to me. I love the guy. He's from about 15 minutes from where I live, he played football in high school, and he sure knows how to work. We are having some serious success. I'm grateful for him and his example, many more miracles lie ahead of us.
We contacted a girl the other day who looks a lot like Miley Cyrus. At first she didn't want ANYTHING. It was amazing to see her heart change while we testified to her. We got her phone number and we will see her again. We also ran into this guy from Africa who is a preacher at his church I think. Anyway, he was yelling at us that we need to, "STOP PREACHING ABOUT MORMON AND START PREACHING ABOUT JESUS." He calmed down when we showed him the name on our name tags. We are The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints and we are proud of it. As Elder Holland told us on Saturday... Stand Up For Your Church!!
One of our investigators told us that she has almost finished reading the Book of Mormon. Great! We looked to see where she was at.... She's halfway through the "S's" in the index. She is literally reading it from Cover to Cover. That was funny. There's a lady who knows how to keep her commitments.
I looked at the phone the other day and saw we had a missed call. I called it back. The woman said that she had dialed the wrong number and she was sorry. "Oh, no problem at all," I said. "Actually, we're missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.... How are you?" :) Shortly I found out that she speaks English and is from Ecuador. She was soooo interested and nice, we'll see her later today. WHAT a Miracle.
We also contacted a man who was so nice that he gave us his number and two chocolate donuts! Sweet.
I don't know if any of you have heard about Gofio. It's basically like flour but a different color and they eat it with EVERYTHING here in Lanzarote. I've always hated it. The other day though we were at a members home and she gave us this strange looking pudding. I tasted it and loved it. I asked what was in it? The one, the only, Gofio. I couldn't believe how good it was. We tried making our own Gofio shakes in the apartment, turned out not so bad. Super super healthy.
We knocked on a door in an apartment building and we could hear the song, "Man in the Mirror" by Michael Jackson. That sure took me back to the Priest Quorum trip I went on right before I left for my mission. I'll never forget me, Ethan and Brother Critchfield dancing like fools to that song. Good times. Anyway, we had to sing along and dance a little in the hallway.
Conference was this week if anyone didn't know. And if you really didn't it's online! Amazing conference. Elder Ballard threw it down about missionary work. You know a talk is spot on when the missionaries are cheering and jumping around.
I loved what Elder Anderson said: Primary Children can do missionary work too. Also, what President Monson said about how Blame leaves wounds open, Forgiveness heals them. I loved that. What a need we have to forgive EVERYONE. We have received a Miracle of Forgiveness in our lives, we can at the least forgive others for their wrong doings. No one is perfect. Forgiveness starts by just taking the first step. So take it!
We invited our buddy who is a pastor of another church to Conference. I feel like the Spirit really hit him. He left before we knew that he was going so we didn't see him after. He knows the feelings that he felt and he can NEVER deny them. The Spirit of God is real. I see it work with people every day. Help others feel it.
Conference really reminded me of a memory I have of my Dad. We were at the Priesthood session a couple of years back and I remember the story of a young boy mimicking everything President Monson was doing. So he wiggled his ears. The crowd in the Stake Center exploded with laughter, especially my Dad. He was busting up laughing for a couple minutes. That memory came to me during conference yesterday and I couldn't stop laughing hahaha.
Well we met an amazing lady from England today who actually lives here on the island. She recognized us as the "Misionarios." Looks like we get to teach in English for the next little while. It's so hard to teach in English for me now, believe it or not. It's going to be fun with her though. A really ecstatic woman.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FISHER! I love you buddy.

I love you all as well. Keep living the Gospel and being happy. There's no other way to be truly happy!

Elder Giforos

No comments: