Monday, May 12, 2014

Heroes

A gift from an investigator.

"Come What May and Love it" -Elder Joseph B. Worthlin (Watch this talk!)

Great way to end off the last transfer by Skyping my family. We had a really great week. We set super high goals and we reached them. I know it was because we put our faith in the Lord and we know that anything is possible with Him. We just need to work hard and diligently, giving our all to him. Miracles follow.
I've been thinking a lot about Forgiveness. What an amazing blessing it is to be forgiven and to forgive others. I watched an "I'm a Mormon" video on the Mormon Channel that I really liked. It's called, "New York Mother and Forgiving Daughter - Kristy Glass." Really cool story about a women who finds peace by forgiving her father.
I testify that we can forgive anyone. It depends though on how much we humble ourselves and try to see through our Father's eyes. You'll be surprised at the peace you can find by loving and forgiving your enemies.
We have found A LOT of new investigators here. It has been a blessing to continually be finding people prepared to hear this life-changing message. We found someone really really cool the other day. We were walking and we hear, "Hey buddy!" We turn and see a teenager sitting in his car with his friend. We starting talking to them and found out that he speaks English, plays basketball, plays the guitar, and... is interested in the message we share. Sweet! We played ball with him and shared some music together. He really likes everything we've shared with him so far. Great guy.
As missionaries we hear this a lot, "I don't have time right now." I've learned throughout my mission that when someone feels the spirit, they have time. So I've learned to be bold in every moment and opportunity. There's a difference in being bold out of frustration and bold with love though. Being bold with love will NEVER offend anybody. I like how Elder Holland puts it, "We're talking about their eternal salvation! Be bold." Give people the opportunity to understand and accept the Gospel here in this earth life. Let's be lovingly bold.
A tender mercy this week was going to our Ward Mission Leader's house and playing with his 3 year old daughter and 3 year old nephew. .... They are cute. Holy cow. We read stories to them, they chased us around the house, we made them laugh, they made us laugh really hard. The best thing for me was when I was talking on the phone for the transfer information and the little girl runs up and gives me a big hug. Wow. Small things like that are what makes life so beautiful.
We had a lot of opportunities to serve this week. That doesn't happen very often because the people can be stubborn with asking us for help. I don't know why though, I mean that's what we're here for!
We had the opportunity to move some heavy furniture (I love moving furniture) and also give a blessing of health to someone in the hospital.
I was also thinking about role-models and heroes in my life this week. I listened to a talk by Elder Eyring titled, "Priesthood Men" this morning with my comp. Here's a little bit from my thoughts on this talk and this subject:
Righteous, hardworking priesthood holders are modern day heroes. Each of us will become a model of a Priesthood Man whether we want to or not. Let's read in Matthew:

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

When we accept the Priesthood the candle is lit.

I was thinking about all of the Priesthood Role-Models I have had in my life: Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Henry B. Eyring, My father, My young men's leaders: Brother Boulter, Crowther, Critchfield, Geissing, Rogers, Brantley, McCuistion, Walters, Burhoe, Seminary teachers, EFY counselors, my best friends, my companions, my little brothers, my mission president. Don't think that the list ends here. I've had so many amazing examples of Priesthood Men. I'm eternally grateful for them and the impact they've had on my life.
I'm here to say this though. We shouldn't seek for acknowledgment in the great things we do. Seek for the joy of serving others unrecognized. Only He will know of all our great deeds and that's all that matters.
Every day of our lives we are given opportunities to show love and kindness to others. Our Prophet has said this to us. Our Father in Heaven his said this to us. Before I go, I want to share a poem.

I am Only One

I am Only One
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.


Remember that I love each and everyone of you.

Elder Giforos

No comments: