Monday, June 9, 2014

Fire Mountain

Timanfaya camel ride, baby!

Hello Everybody,

The weeks are passing by quicker than I would like. I always get nervous when transfer 3 comes around in an area. I'm thinking that my comp and I will have one more transfer together. I could serve here the rest of my mission.

I went to Fuerteventura for intercambios with Elder F. It was a spiritual learning experience. This Elder is probably going to be our next assistant to the President. Super spiritual guy and one of my best friends. We had a great two days together. We ran a ton too! Have to be on time to those lessons when they're so spread out. The branch there is amazing. It's a humbling experience to see the dedication of all these great latter-day saints. They work so hard with smiles and never complain.      2 Nephi 10:21 has reason.

I learned a lot from my studies this week and wrote down some notes that I'd like to share with all of you:
1. To be truly forgiven by God, we need to forgive others.
2. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.
3. If you don't know what to say when sharing the Gospel... Just wait and the Spirit will tell you.
4. Eye contact while teaching or bearing testimony brings the connection of the Spirit. Each time we look away the connection decreases.
5. We can choose to obey the commandments God gives us, but we cannot choose the consequences that come if we don't obey them.

I've learned a lot this week and have many things to apply into my own life.

It was good to come back home to Lanzarote and get to work again. We've been doing a lot of splits with the members. Taking opportunities to strengthen their testimonies and give them opportunities to share the Gospel. On Friday, we went on splits with probably the two oldest guys in the ward. That was so much fun. They love the work and they bring a sweet spirit to the lessons. One of them helps us all the time, he loves missionary work and he loves to tell everyone we talk to how many members of the church there are in their countries!

A special experience for me happened in the street this week. While waiting for my comp and a member to finish contacting someone after another member had dropped me off, I decided to contact a guy walking my way. We had a great conversation and a great lesson together. After writing down his number he gave me a big hug. The Spirit had spoken to him of what I testified was true. That was his way of thanking me. Pretty cool.

We had a great opportunity to do service and help a member move out all of their furniture. We had a great time with them. Sometimes I thought I was going to get crushed carrying those big pieces down the tiny stairwells. It all turned out great though.

Never run from or be shocked of someone's situation when they have the confidence to open up to you. We don't run from people when they need our help, regardless of their situation. We need to be prepared to bear people's burdens. The Atonement of Jesus Christ is powerful.

Today for P-day some members took us out to see the island. We visited "Timonfaya" or "MontaƱa de Fuego" - Fire Mountain. It was incredible. It looked like we were on a different planet! It's an active group of volcanoes and the big one exploded about 300 years ago. You could see all the dried lava spread out for miles and miles. I learned that they filmed part of the movie "Clash of the Titans" here. Great P-day.

President Monson said, "Love is the very essence of the Gospel." I believe that everyone we meet is someone God has given us to show love towards. President Monson warns us to always be careful to never destroy someone's confidence.

I love this quote and I testify of its truthfulness, "Blame keeps wounds open, only Forgiveness heals." Forgiveness is probably one of the greatest gifts we can give others as well as ourselves. I have felt its power as I have forgiven others and apologized to the Lord for my weaknesses and faults. There is a special feeling of peace that comes from Forgiveness.

You know I love you all!

Elder Giforos

No comments: