Tuesday, August 19, 2014

25

Today is our 25th wedding anniversary. Twenty-five years of wedded bliss? Well it depends on the day. Some days yes and some days no. Does that mean I love him any less than I did 25 years ago? No. That means I love him infinitely more. In fact, it's the hard awful days that make me appreciate each and every second of these last 25 years. It's the moments, not the years that make our love deeper and stronger than I could have ever imagined possible 25 years ago.

The Greek
About a week ago The Greek was driving home from work when he hit a huge puddle of water on the freeway. He spun around in a circle and hit the concert middle divider with both the front and then the back of the car. He walked away unscathed. The car did not. This is the second time this has happened to him. The last time it was on an icy freeway and a semi-truck was headed right at him before he spun all the way out of traffic. I've been a little upset with him the last week or so. I'm always telling him to drive carefully. I'm just so grateful he's still here.

Yesterday, The Kid wiped out on his bike going down a hill too fast. He has a bad case of road rash from his forehead to his knees. Luckily he didn't need any stitches or had any broken bones. So far it looks like no concussion either. Does that make me feel any better? No. I was up all night wracked with guilt for not making him wear his helmet and imaging what could have happened if the three cars behind him had hit him. And I'm not looking forward to changing his bandages today.

The Kid
Life is strange. It's the tragedies or near misses that make us so grateful for what we have. I feel so blessed each and every day that I'm with my family. I love them more than words can adequately say. Hug your loved ones a little tighter today.

2 comments:

Kristy Steele said...

A similar thing happened to Cory last year when he was clipped by a semi and spun in a 360 on the freeway, hitting the median and missing oncoming traffic. I still can't believe he walked away but I'm glad they are both still here! Happy Anniversary!

Ria said...

That is basically what happened both times, spinning across the freeway. I'm glad Cory is still around too!