Monday, August 11, 2014

In the Zone

Segovia, Spain
Dear Family,
My first week here in Barrio 5 went by so fast I can't even believe it. We did so much this week. Miracles, blessings, hard work. I've learned as a zone leader you don't really sleep very much! That's ok though because it gives me more time to serve the Lord.

The ward here is just as incredible as my last ward. I'd actually say even more. Some of the members here are seriously devoted to missionary work and sacrifice so much of their lives to the Lord. My Father in Heaven has blessed me so much to be able to come close to so many amazing people. There is a lot of work to do here in the Zone and I have gotten to know a ton of people (investigators, missionaries, and members) already.

We went to Villalba for another district's district meeting then took a bus and ran to ours. There are some great missionaries here in Spain, it's great to hear their testimonies. I also had the opportunity to have companion exchanges with an Elder in Segovia. Segovia is a beautiful city. Those big tourist cities are awesome because a couple times throughout the day you have Americans honking at us saying, "Hey Elders! We love you!" or they stop to talk to us. I had a great time serving with the other elder, we ran almost the whole day to make it to lessons! It was awesome.

My old comp, Elder H, is in my district now, as well as other great friends I've gotten to know throughout the mission. There was a baptism in our ward this week and I got to watch my old comp from Lanzarote baptize an amazing woman from Peru. She is amazing. My comp and I were the witnesses and she had to be baptized 5 times because every time either a knee cap or a hand didn't go under. She was super nervous but with the biggest smile on her face! That takes some patience to be able to be dunked 5 times. Amazing lady.

Sunday is always the day of the biggest miracles. A member who always helps us in lessons and contacting in the street gave his first talk on Sunday. His name is J, he's 17, from the Philippines, and he was baptized 3 months ago. He normally has problems speaking because he gets super nervous. When he stood up at the pulpit though... It was incredible. He spoke perfectly and gave the most amazing spiritual talk. The Lord can do anything if we trust in Him.

Our Cuban investigator came to church for her first time with her baby. She loved it and told the bishop that this is where she wants to stay. We're really excited for her. She's a single mom and has the cutest baby. She's also a super mom because every time we go over she's using power tools and building something in her house.

Tomorrow I'm headed up to the mission home for the mission counsel. We spend about the whole day there with president and his wife and all the other zone leaders and sisters training leaders. I get to see my trainer tomorrow as well, one week before he goes home. My comp and I get to give our first zone meeting together on Wednesday. We have about 23 missionaries in our zone. I'm super excited for this week!

Spencer W. Kimball said, "Our lives are like shoes, to be worn out in the service of God."

I love you,

Elder Giforos

No comments: