Monday, September 22, 2014

The Windows of Heaven

New comp, Elder G.
What a great week. I love my companion and I love this area. Blessings have been poured out upon us for our obedience and diligence. I love the scripture in Malachi 3:10 that talks about blessings. Specifically it talks about the blessings from paying tithing but I feel that it applies to obeying any commandment. It says, "...and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." It's like the Lord is saying to try Him. Keep His commandments and you WILL see blessings. In fact, blessings will be poured out from the windows of heaven. What a promise. We learn from Doctrine and Covenants 82 that, "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." I think it's pretty simple.

We're heading up to another Zone Council tomorrow in the mission home, then on Wednesday my comp and I will give a Zone Training to our Zone. We're really excited to say what President wants us to teach the Zone.

We had a huge ward activity the other day called, "Dia de las Naciones" or in other words, "bring the best food you have from your country and share it." It was a good day. There had to be at least 200 people there and food from a bunch of different places: Honduras, Ecuador, The United States, Peru, Colombia, The Philippines, Paraguay, and Spain. I'm no food critic but Honduras totally won it. The food was so good and my comp and I waddled our way back home after the activity finished the night off.

We have a newer investigator who we met about 3 weeks ago. He is 17 and from the Dominican Republic. He has made the decision to be baptized on October 11th, the week after conference. He is an amazing guy and tells us that, "Every time I meet with you two I feel better and better about the decision I've made." He's solid and he wants to serve a mission. We're really excited for him.

We went to a direction looking for a woman who was baptize about 4 years ago. She didn't live there anymore but a return sister missionary did! She's from Romania and served in the Madrid mission. She finished her mission a year and a half ago. She gave us a reference of a family she was teaching when she was serving in our area. We found the family and they are amazing! The Lord will guide us if we are willing and worthy. "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do. Nevertheless I went forth..."

I've been thinking a lot about what our purpose is as missionaries of the Lord Jesus Christ. (Yes, you all are missionaries too.) I've come to this conclusion: We need to have the same desire that our Heavenly Father has! Which is, "For behold, this is my work and my glory - to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." We need to DESIRE the salvation of our brothers and sisters.
Think of Heaven. Now take out a few members of your family, now take out your best friend from high school, now take out a colleague from work, now take out the nice man that smiled at you when you were having a bad day. Heaven wouldn't be the same! We need to help those people make it!

I love you all and I pray for you,

Elder Giforos

No comments: