Monday, November 3, 2014

The Screwtape Letters

The much anticipated (and feared) Balloons and Darts Game!
Can you believe it's November? First off, nobody worry about my weight! I'm 70 kilos and feeling great :) I got a little fat in the islands so now I'm back to normal.

We had an awesome week! The highlight was... J again! He went to the temple and bore an awesome testimony in sacrament meeting! After he went to the temple we were asking him about it and the first thing he said was this, "I was baptized for 15 people!!!" He was so excited. What an awesome best friend for the rest of my life!

We found a really amazing Colombian woman this week. We stopped her in the street and had a really nice conversation with her. We asked her why she thought that the Lord sent us to her and she responded by saying, "I know He sent you to me because I've distanced myself from Him and He wants me back." We met with her on Friday and shared the message of the Restoration with her. She started crying and expressed her gratitude to us. What an awesome lady. She headed back to Colombia the next day and we're sending her contact information to the missionaries over there. Future baptism!

We also met with an Atheist 22 year old from Syria. He expressed to us the unimaginable things he's seen and been through during his life. He expressed how much he would love to know if God exists. He told us that he's searched for so long and has found nothing. We shared a few verses from Alma 32 with him. We testified that the desires and faith he has needs to be planted with a good seed. If he planted a bad seed, it wouldn't grow, but a good seed would and it would continually sprout into something beautiful. He loved the message. What a great guy. I know with all my heart that the message our church shares is this "good seed." I've seen it grow throughout my life.

We had a huge Halloween activity the other day. My companion and I were in charge of the best game! Darts and Balloons! Oh yeah! To be honest though we were a little scared with all the kids there. We had to do some serious dart control so no one got killed. My companion almost took a dart to the back by a 6 year old. It was an awesome activity! The South Americans know how to decorate for a party! Plenty of good food and good laughs. The best part was after the party though. J brought his friend, A to the activity. We taught him after and had the best lesson! He asked amazing questions like, "How can I know if this is true?" We held up the Book of Mormon and talked about prayer. He has so much potential! JOVENES SON LOS MEJORES!

This next week is looking very nice. We are heading up to the mission home tomorrow for another council. Then we have the temple trip and zone training on Wednesday! Very excited and happy as always.

I've found that throughout my mission the Lord has given me many learning opportunities to be humble. Humility is something very interesting that very few people come close to mastering in this life. It is hard but a special eternal blessing. I was reading this scripture after our visit with the guy from Syria and I absolutely loved it. I feel like it is something I've learned over and over again throughout my mission. Something that has really changed me.

Alma 32:15-16

15 "Yea, he that truly humbleth himself, and repenteth of his sins, and endureth to the end, the same shall be blessed-yea, much more blessed than they who are compelled to be humble because of their exceeding poverty.
16 Therefore, blessed are they who humble themselves without being compelled to be humble; or rather, in other words, blessed is he that believeth in the word of God, and is baptized without stubbornness of heart, yea, without being brought to know the word or even compelled to know, before they will believe."

Are we truly humble without being compelled to be? That is something to ponder. BUT... there's more to it. I once read that "when we think we have it, we don't!" I love the talk by Marlin K. Jensen called, "To Walk Humbly with thy God"

He says that when we consciously try to acquire humility, it becomes problematic. "We should try to develop humility and be sure we didn't know when we got it, and then we would have it. But if we ever thought we had it, we wouldn't."

He also comments on one of my favorite books by C.S. Lewis called "The Screwtape Letters." He says, "In letter XIV, a good man who is being recruited by a devil and his apprentice to their side is growing humble, and the devil remarks that "this is very bad." With great insight, Lewis has the devil say to his associate, "Your patient has become humble; have you drawn his attention to the fact?"

The Savior has given us the perfect model of humility.

Well, my fingers are cold typing out this letter. It's that time of the year!

I love you all!

Elder Giforos

No comments: