Monday, December 1, 2014

A Donde Va La Comida?

That's his mission president on the left, they say he wins almost every time. I think that is Elder Giforos to the left of him.
December 1st.. That was a shock when my comp and I saw the calender this morning. It was such a great Thanksgiving week last week! We were invited to dinner and the food was very... American :) The best ever. I had 5 plates of food and then they brought out the pie. Pumpkin and apple pie! Woo hoo! I've been well known for how much I can eat throughout my mission. People always say, "A donde va la comida!?" or "Where does all that food go!?" I have to take advantage of that great metabolism before it's gone, well, if it ever goes away. It was a great Thanksgiving. (It was J's first Thanksgiving too.) We also went to Pavones last Monday for a TURKEY BOWL. We played football and there were almost 100 missionaries there. Great time.

Thank you so much family for the package! I loved it! The calender had the best pictures in it, the gloves are awesome, everything was perfect. I have to say my favorite part was the song by Zorba the Greek on the CD. That brought back some serious memories and made me so happy! We've been listening to it a ton and I taught my comp how to Greek dance!

We had the opportunity to attend another District's District meeting this week. We focused on being grateful. Specifically being grateful for our companions though. Everyone's heard the famous quote "Two are better than one" right? Well, did you know that it's in the Bible as well? I didn't!
In Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (which is in the Old Testament) it says:

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."

We gave each missionary an envelope with their comp's name on it, they had to write their companion a letter, seal it, and give it to them that same night to read. It was awesome. My companion and I did it, it's a very special letter to me now. I want to share an Acronym my companion included in the letter:

Giforos

G oofy- You make this work a real hoot!
I ntelligent- You often underestimate the keen mind you have.
F uego(Fire)- You can feel the fire of this Gospel within you!
O ro(Gold) - One golden companion I will never forget.
R ecto(Upright or Honorable) - Straight up righteous in all that you do.
O ne of a kind - And that's the truth. You Hipster!
S incere - I can often feel of the sincere love you have for this work.

He's the best comp. Love the guy.

We had a really great lesson with our friend from Puebla, Mexico this past week. He's here in Spain for 1 year to do a 2 year Masters... He's really stressed out and has almost no time to do anything but study. He's about halfway through his course now. We met him in the street his first week here in Spain and since then we've visited him every once and a while. Last week he expressed to us how he feels like he's distancing himself from God. He noticed how sad he had been feeling from forgetting to do the small and simple things, for example: Daily Prayer. I had been wearing a little primary CTR ring, which I bought at the church store next to the temple, on my pinkie finger for a little while. I decided to give it to him to help remind him to choose the right and do those small but important things! Since then he's been praying everyday, coming to church every Sunday and he's a lot happier now! He loves that little ring!

With our Brazilian friend, we had a great lesson about the Word of Wisdom. (He's also teaching us Karate, while practicing kicks this morning for exercise, I threw up a powerful kick which caused my flip flop to fly off and nail my comp right in the back! That was funny.) This guy is hilarious and he gave us a great analogy about smoking. He said that smoking is like putting your mouth over the exhaust pipe of a car and yelling, "Step on it! Step on it!" to the driver. The way he acted it out was just priceless. It was a very descriptive definition of what smoking does to us.

Church was great this week. I had the opportunity to spend part of Sacrament Meeting keeping a recent convert's little two year old daughter quiet. We colored a picture of a little girl which had a caption beneath it that said, "I am a child of God." I put a sticker of Jesus Christ on the picture and, once we had finished coloring, the little girl picked up the picture and gave it a big kiss! Coloring is fun.

We've been teaching J's 12 year old cousin recently and he is awesome! He reminds me of my brothers when they were little because he loves Lego's! He always has them with him. On Sunday he came to church with a little backpack that contained the following: His Book of Mormon and... his Lego's! 

We also had a slightly weird but funny experience at church. While greeting everyone at the door before church started, a big, older Dominican lady enters the church just freezing to death, shakes our hands and says, "Heat up my hands with your priesthood Elders!" Hahaha what? She's a funny lady.

There's a new video that was released this last week. I invite you all to visit: christmas.mormon.org . We really need to focus on what's really important this Christmas. Our families, loved ones but most importantly Jesus Christ. He is the greatest gift our Heavenly Father has ever given us.
I want to close off my letter with this quote by our beloved Prophet:

"To catch the real meaning of the spirit of Christmas, we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the Spirit of Christ."

Love you guys,

Elder Giforos

No comments: