Monday, December 15, 2014

For My Yoke is Easy and My Burden is Light

They love their matching Christmas ties (they play music when you push the button).
Great, awesome week. The work is coming along really well and we're preparing many people for baptism! Our buddy from Nicaragua is still on board going strong towards his baptism date on the 27th of this month. We're really excited for him, he's such a solid guy! In a week or two we are actually going to a sparring gym with him so that he can teach us how to box. Way excited.

My comp is awesome. We had a great first week together and we are pumped for Christmas! We actually have the same first name. There's a funny story about that: We were contacting in the street and we found an old Spanish man named, "Zacarias" (Probably the first Spanish person I've met that has the same first name as me.) Anyway, he was actually really interested and found it hilarious that all three of us had the same name. There's so many ways to make the Spanish people laugh really hard. I love my mission.

I don't know if I mentioned that we have an awesome investigator from Cameroon. He speaks French fluently and broken Spanish/English. I don't know why but I love teaching the guy so much. We speak to each other like 3 cavemen mixing English and Spanish together. Sometimes I even throw a little French in there! The amazing part is that he completely understands every lesson we teach him and the spirit that we've felt with him is absolutely incredible. Re-passing the French Lesson Pamphlets with him reaffirms everything for us.

So, my companion loves to cook. He's actually really good at it. We had a little fail this week though. We were trying to make fudge... and it turned out as an eggy, buttery tasting kind of thing... We'll keep on practicing.

I wanted to share something that I heard from Gordon B. Hinckley:

"Never assume that you can make it alone. You need the help of the Lord. Never hesitate to get on your knees in some private place and speak with Him."

I testify of the power of prayer and the great need each of us have to continually communicate with our Heavenly Father. Life is so much harder when we think we can do everything on our own. Like the scriptures say, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

This scripture has special meaning to me because as a primary kid it was the first scripture that I had ever memorized in my life. I've come to know the great importance it can have to each and every one of us. It's been a lesson to me throughout my life but more so during my mission.

I invite each of you to study what a "yoke" is and its purpose. As well as to read a talk by David A. Bednar titled, "Bear Up Their Burdens with Ease."

I know that the Lord is always with us and because of that our burdens can literally feel lighter.

Elder Giforos

No comments: