Monday, January 12, 2015

I Love Helping People to Be Happy

Paintball: Mission President Approved!
What a great week! I am so happy right now I can't even write it in words! We'll be having a few baptisms this week here in Madrid. We're so excited and grateful for the amazing people of Spain. I also heard that one of my old investigators from Lanzarote finally was baptized! Awesome.

We went up to Alcobendas this last week for another leadership training and then we had our zone training the next day. President showed us a couple of sports videos. He showed us the video of the horse "Secretariat" and told us about his incredible story. President actually met that horse and got to take care of him for the day. He is one of the best Athletes ever in the whole world. There's actually a movie about him. I invite you all to watch and I'll be sure to watch it when I get home! Speaking of that.. I got "The Email." My official return date is July 7th. I will not be leaving with my current mission president, I'll actually be with the new one for the last week of my mission. It will be sad not spending my last day with President and Sister Jackson but I'll see them again for sure in the future. Anyway, that's a little news for all of you.

In our zone training we really focused on unity and Zion. Zion is actually a really interesting topic. Wherever we are in the world, being members of this church, we need to establish Zion. The church must be united in all things to do this. There's a scripture in Moses 7:18 that I really like, it says:

" And the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them."

As wards, branches, missionaries, children of God, etc. we all need to be of "one heart and one mind." If we are united in all things we can be like the people spoken of in the Book of Mormon:

"There were no robbers, nor murderers, neither were there Lamanites, nor any manner of -ites; but they were in one, the children of Christ, and heirs to the kingdom of God." (4 Nephi 1:17)

We can establish Zion wherever we may be if we follow these principles and show true love towards one another. On both sides I've seen it in my mission: prideful, selfish feelings will destroy oneself and affect many others around him, whereas Christlike selfless service will build Zion and exalt every one of us.

I went to Alcobendas again on Friday to work with a great great friend. We had a blast together and saw so many miracles. We met a woman who was sitting on a bench alone. At the exact same time, beforehand receiving spiritual impressions, we looked at each other and said, "Lets go talk with her." We sat down next to her and had the best conversation together. She expressed how she had recently returned from her country where she was visiting her family and how she felt really alone here in Spain without her family. We told her how we were here without family as well and that we could be her children for a little while! She thought that was funny and her face lit up. It was such a spiritually love filled lesson. She was grateful and so were we. Seeing someone's countenance change drastically by just being a nice person is a miracle to me. I love happy people and I love helping people to be happy. The mission has given me so many opportunities to do that and I'm so grateful for that.

We closed off that companion exchange by eating 10 Empanadas each. Freshly made by the hands of South American geniuses!

Also! Our water heater just about blew up this week! Yay! We suffered through some FREEZING cold winter showers but then finally had it replaced. I'm grateful for warm water and I can testify of that. :)

The mission is amazing and I'm taking advantage of every day I have here.

I testify, as it says in Mormon, that our Heavenly Father is a God of miracles.

"Miracles are everywhere to be found when priesthood callings are magnified. When faith replaces doubt, when selfless service eliminates selfish striving, the power of God brings to pass His purposes. Whom God calls, God qualifies." -Thomas S. Monson

I love you guys!

Elder Giforos

No comments: