Monday, January 5, 2015

Live for the Future

His first fanny pack.
2014 is over. That was quick. To think that I was on my mission that whole year is just crazy. I'm really making sure that I'm enjoying every minute of my mission. It's all passing by too quickly.. But!.. It keeps getting better. I'm excited to see what else the Lord has in store for me as I continue in my mission. I have to say, sometimes I forget that I'm in Spain. This place has become my home, I'm kind of forgetting what the States are like? Is that bad? It's okay though, I have a "Statue of Liberty" tie from my brother to remind me that I'm still an American.

New Years Eve was pretty cool here. "Sol" (The center of Madrid) was packed with people preparing for the countdown. For those of you who don't know, in Spain they eat 12 grapes per second counting down until midnight. Then the bells sound and Madrid goes crazy. I wasn't there.. because I was sleeping, but I heard it was pretty crazy! We actually gathered together with a member and had a sweet dinner. The next day was a ghost town, seriously nobody was outside. We had a little gift exchange in our district and I got my first fanny pack! Not really sure what to do with it!

Our friend from Cameroon told us about his love for FĂștbol and designing. He played division 2 soccer but due to knee problems he's out of commission right now. He's a designer too which is pretty awesome. He showed us all his drawings and his logo that he created. He said, "It's like Nike or Adidas and one day when you see it on TV you'll say, Hey! I know that guy. He's my friend." Just the funniest dude.

We were teaching our little 9 year old Bolivian friend the Plan of Salvation and his parents had to tell us that he has a little trouble remembering things. We put him to the test. We taught him the whole lesson and asked him to tell us what he understood from it all. Like a machine he basically taught it all back to us. He's 9 years old! The Spirit can do incredible things. It reminds me of the scripture in 3 Nephi 26:14 which says,

"And it came to pass that he did teach and minister unto the children of the multitude of whom hath been spoken, and he did loose their tongues, and they did speak unto their fathers great and marvelous things.."

Today we went and played "Paddle" which is basically tennis but a lot more fun. We were actually all pretty good except we kept hitting the ball too hard so it ended up in other peoples courts. Luckily the Spanish people who play Paddle are actually pretty patient.

We are headed up to Alcobendas again tomorrow to go to President's house. We're really excited to see what he has in store for us this time. I'm pretty pumped for Hermana Jackson's food as well. I love going there!

Last week they sent all the Sisters I started my mission with home. That was kind of a weird feeling. I love my MTC group so much, they are all great missionaries.

With the start of the new year I wanted to invite you all to watch a Mormon message titled, "New Year's: Look Not Behind Thee". http://www.mormonchannel.org/video/mormon-messages?v=910930409001. It talks a little bit about Lot's Wife and why people think she looked back. One guy said, "She probably didn't give any consideration that the FUTURE could have been better than her past." In relation to this New Year we should all look forward with Faith in Christ and never look back at our past trials or disappointments. Anybody can choose to leave the past behind and move forward. Live for the future.

I love you guys,

Elder Giforos

No comments: