Monday, February 16, 2015

Family History


All is well here in Galicia! Being the only two missionaries here, we definitely have a big area to work in. We've taken a lot of bus and train rides. The best thing about that is that I've been able to see a lot of Galicia.

Probably the best thing that happened this week was the following: We received a reference from "mormon.org" of a single, pregnant lady from Venezuela who was looking for the church here in Galicia and also a copy of the Book of Mormon. We took an hour bus ride to the little "pueblo" (village) that she lives in. After a half hour of searching in the downpour of rain we finally found her! She is awesome! She also had a non-member friend there who was interested in hearing our message as well. This lady wants so badly to raise her son in the church. She'll have her baby in May, I'll be able to meet him. That's exciting news. It really was a miracle how the Lord guided us to her. She was so grateful to see the missionaries again.

We found another Dominican! (There aren't too many around here.) He lives about 30 minutes from us and he loves the Book of Mormon and our message already! We're pretty excited for him as well. He's going to make us some food as well. Oh yeah. "Pica Pollo" y "Morir So├▒ando." Mmmmm Mmm. This world has some great food in it.

Wednesday morning we'll be heading down to Madrid. They are sending my comp and I down a little early to take care of some legal stuff so for the rest of the day we get to go back to Barrio 5 to work with Elder Dougher and Cahoon (who was my comp in Lanzarote)!! I'm really excited to be able to see everyone from my last area again. It'll be a great trip. They're also going to let us go to the Temple after the conference on Thursday. It'll probably be my last time going to the temple on my mission.

As you all know we've been working on a lot of Family History lately as a mission in preparation for our Mission Tour with Elder Dyches. Last Monday my companion and I were looking about information on our families for about an hour. Right after that, we hit the streets. A man quickly stopped us and said, "¿Ustedes son los Misioneros, verdad?" (You're the Missionaries right?) The first thing he asked us was about Familiy History and how he could participate in it. I don't think anyone has ever stopped me throughout my whole mission and the first thing they asked us about was Family History. Coincidence? I think not! We've had many more amazing experiences sharing our "My Family" booklets with members/investigators. (Lot's of them have liked comparing the pictures of my relatives to me, seeing if we look alike.) By the way, yet again another man has said that I look Mediterranean. Greece points!

I wanted to finish off my letter with a quote from Elder Cook's talk two conferences ago titled, "Roots and Branches." He said, "Don't underestimate the influence of the deceased in assisting your efforts and the joy of ultimately meeting those you serve. The eternally significant blessing of uniting our own families is almost beyond comprehension."

It's incredible how much my love for Family History work has grown over this past month. I have felt a very special connection with those that have passed on before me by spending more time learning about them. We have help on both sides of the veil.

Elder Giforos

No comments: