Monday, February 2, 2015

Trilling My R's


We had a great week here in Pontevedra. The work here is definitely different than in Madrid, everything's not as fast paced, it's really relaxed and the people are really chill here. I like that. We've met some great people here. The Galician culture is interesting. They're really funny though. Just like any other people some are really nice and some are not the friendliest citizens. Those are they who need the Gospel! I'm loving it here. Our area is pretty cool because it covers a lot of different cities. You can basically drive 2 hours in bus in any direction and it's still our proselyting area. I'm pretty sure we have a couple islands as well. We'll see.

Remember how I said I hadn't bought an umbrella yet? Yeah, I bought one. I can say that I have experienced the rain of Galicia. Wow! Umbrellas don't really even help because the wind just blows it into you horizontally. I love it though! It made the work a ton of fun. Just imagine two missionaries running around to get to appointments in the rain. Doesn't get much better than that.

People here walk around with 2 umbrellas, just in case one of them breaks! Pontevedra seriously looked like a war zone full of umbrella carnage the other day. The rain really is beautiful here though. I've been impressed with the sky/sunsets/sunrises.

Something amazing happened to me on Friday. I had an "Other Side of Heaven" movie moment, you know, when he goes out to a little piece of land in the water just to perfect his language speaking abilities? From what I remember he reads phrases back and forth from the Bible in Tongan, then in English. I had an experience similar to that, the difference was I wasn't doing this for days, just 2 hours.

Anyway, a little background first: I have felt very confident about Spanish my whole entire mission. I can speak, understand, write and read. There is just ONE thing I had been working on to perfect my whole mission. Trilling my "r's." I had never been able to do it! It drove me absolutely crazy. It's making a rolling sound with your tongue when you say a word like, "Arrepentimiento" for example. After a year and a half I got kind of sick of not being able to do it so I locked myself in a room for 2 hours and did nothing but say the same words over and over again, practicing the "rr." I can do it now. The feeling of joy I felt was incredible, huge accomplishment! So, that was my "Other Side of Heaven" experience that I had.

I'm actually sitting next to a guy right now, who we met here 2 weeks ago, who is from Curitiba, Brazil. The same place where my dad served his mission! He's awesome and he wants to learn about the Gospel! Did I ever mention how much I love Brazilians? We ate with a Brazilian family on Sunday and they made us Brazilian Lemonade.. I almost shed a tear. My companion did because it was his first time trying it.

I've really been able to feel and recognize the presence of the Spirit on my mission. It's like night and day when it is there and when it is not. I've been very grateful to enter into faithful members' houses and enjoy those peaceful feelings of the Spirit. It is incredible the effect a Spirit filled home can have on people whether they recognize what those feeling are or not.

I've also been studying John 4 lately in the Bible. This chapter talks about the "Woman at the Well" and how Christ is "Living Water." Christ said: "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

I thought of this question while studying this chapter: "Why do we still thirst even after we've participated of the living water of Christ?" I feel that it's because we need to be continuously participating of it, nourishing our Spirits which are caught up in a sinful world.

The church is true! Here's an awesome quote from Gordan B. Hinckley,"The time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of this, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Elder Giforos

No comments: