Monday, March 23, 2015

The Penguin


What a crazy P-day we had today. Some members took us out to see some famous Lighthouses and Cliffs. I love cliffs and climbing on stuff. It had been a while. Galicia is beautiful. 

This was a great week like always! We started it off great by figuring out what animal we would both be. (Just a random conversation in the apartment.) My companion came to the conclusion that I'm a Penguin. Not bad. He gave me 3 reasons that I thought were pretty funny. Here's what he said, "You remember that movie March of the Penguins? Yeah, that's why you're a penguin! First, they love to be social and together with the people they love. Second, they are some hard working animals. Third, although they are hard workers they still have a ton of fun!" I was honored to be a Penguin. ha ha. I have a great companion.

I read a great talk by Neil L. Anderson this week called, "Joseph Smith." It was in the conference of Oct. 2014. Great talk! I'm not going to go into depth on the talk today because I don't have much time but I invite you all to read it! I wanted to share one thing that I really liked about the talk though. He's commenting on how many people have negative feelings towards Joseph Smith because of "things" they had heard about him. Two of the main sources to hear those "things" are the Internet and from people of other churches. He quoted Neal A. Maxwell on this matter. "Some insist upon studying the Church only through the eyes of its defectors--like interviewing Judas to understand Jesus. Defectors always tell us more about themselves than about that from which they have departed."

If someone wants to know if Joseph Smith was a Prophet or has a question regarding anything on the church, they need to ask He who knows all. Kneel down and pray for the answer you're looking for. Then find that answer by acting. Search the scriptures and the words of His prophets. You will find a sure and correct answer if you apply those principles.

We had some great companion exchanges this week with the Elders in Orense. (About 2 hours on bus from where we are.) My companion returned from Orense Thursday morning but there was a problem... we couldn't find him. We entered the bus station and he was no where to be found. We searched for about 30 minutes. I seriously thought I had lost my companion, and even worse, my son! The thought kept running through my head, "I lost my son!" We came outside and there he was, standing there looking worried as ever. I gave him the biggest hug. Glad I didn't lose him.

I wanted to share a parable that President Uchtdorf shared in his talk called, "Lord, is it I?"

"A Parable of Dandelions"

Once there was a man who enjoyed taking evening walks around his neighborhood. He particularly looked forward to walking past his neighbor’s house. This neighbor kept his lawn perfectly manicured, flowers always in bloom, the trees healthy and shady. It was obvious that the neighbor made every effort to have a beautiful lawn.

But one day as the man was walking past his neighbor's house, he noticed in the middle of this beautiful lawn a single, enormous, yellow dandelion weed. It looked so out of place that it surprised him. Why didn’t his neighbor pull it out? Couldn’t he see it? Didn’t he know that the dandelion could cast seeds that could give root to dozens of additional weeds?

This solitary dandelion bothered him beyond description, and he wanted to do something about it. Should he just pluck it out? Or spray it with weed killer? Perhaps if he went under cover of night, he could remove it secretly.

These thoughts totally occupied his mind as he walked toward his own home. He entered his house without even glancing at his own front yard—which was blanketed with hundreds of yellow dandelions."

Our salvation is personal. We need to make sure that we have our own "spiritual oxygen masks" adjusted before we start worrying so much about others. The best way to help others is to be an example. Like President Uchtdorf said, "Preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary, use words."
Look up Matthew 7: 3-5!

(Sorry I don't have more time! If I did I would write more!)

I love you guys!

Elder Giforos

2 comments:

Susana Hernandez said...

He is an awesome missionary , he reminds me a lot of my mission , great example elder, thanks for being who you are.

Ria said...

Thank you! He loves his mission and Spain.