Monday, April 27, 2015

Breaking News: Spain, Madrid is now an iPad Mission!

"Watch out Ladies!" Only 2 months until he's home!
What a week! And some crazy news! I'll start out with the best! This Saturday one of our best friends, R, is going to be baptized! We're really excited for him and so is the branch! It's been a little while since there's been a baptism here. A lot of hard work and looking for prepared people lately. I'm so excited for this baptism.

Now for some other big news! The Spain, Madrid mission is now an iPad mission! What? Didn't think I'd see that on my mission! Next Thursday our entire mission (including all those in the north and the islands) are meeting in Madrid for "General Authority training." Elder Dyches and Elder Allen will be there. This will be the first time, at least from what I know, that the whole mission will be meeting together. That's gonna be expensive! President Jackson and his wife were in a training meeting in Germany for instruction regarding all of this. Elder David A. Bednar was there running the meeting. Here's something he said that I think is so cool!:

"Elder Bednar said that instead of using cimeters, bows and arrows, we are using iPads (haha!! So cool!) to combat the enemy. The Nephites knew the "intent of the enemy," just as we do in our day. Our mission has been selected as one of the few missions throughout the world to participate in this program. There are only about 86 missions worldwide that currently use Digital Devices. Only 15 of the 30 missions in Europe were chosen." This is going to do a lot of good for missionary work.

We've been working a lot with the members here in Pontevedra, helping them to share the Gospel with everyone! Two little girls here took it to the next level. They're 9 and 11 years old. They started inviting their English teacher to come to church! The teacher eventually even said that she would like to meet with us. At a family home evening at church this week, the little 9 year old comes up to me and says, "Can you give me a Book of Mormon so that I can give it to me teacher?"...... Uh, Yeah!! They're awesome little missionaries. The members here are so great.

We ate lunch this week with a member and her boyfriend. This guy served his mission in Greece! It was awesome being able to talk to him about Greece. Especially reminiscing about the food. I miss Greek food! He told me about the church over there and that although it may be small, the members are strong! He said there are about 40 missionaries in Greece, all Europeans. Apparently in the States they won't let missionaries go there. When I first saw him I said, "Ti kanis" which means "How are you?" in Greek. I felt pretty cool but then had to explain that I don't speak Greek... One day.

A member here once told me a funny story about his childhood. He asked his father if he could do something and his dad told him "No." He then quoted a scripture to his dad, he said, "What about the scripture 'Ask, and ye shall receive'" then his dad said, "Yeah, but there's another scripture that says, 'Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss....'" (James 4:3)  Someone read that scripture in District Meeting and it reminded me of that story, I thought it was hilarious because in Spanish it says, "Pedís, y no recibís, porque pedís mal." Which translates directly into, "You ask, but do not receive, because you ask wrong."

This week in Elders Quorum we talked about the message given by President Uchtdorf, two conferences ago called, "Receiving a Testimony of Light and Truth." "Suppose you were able to travel back in time and have a conversation with people who lived a thousand or even a hundred years ago. Imagine trying to describe to them some of the modern technologies that you and I take for granted today. For example, what might these people think of us if we told them stories of jumbo jets, microwave ovens, handheld devices that contain vast digital libraries, and videos of our grandchildren that we instantly share with millions of people around the world? Some might believe us. Most would ridicule, oppose, or perhaps even seek to silence or harm us. Some might attempt to apply logic, reason, and facts as they know them to show that we are misguided, foolish, or even dangerous. They might condemn us for attempting to mislead others. But of course, these people would be completely mistaken. They might be well-meaning and sincere. They might feel absolutely positive of their opinion. But they simply would not be able to see clearly because they had not yet received the more complete light of truth."

That is such an interesting thing to think about! I have especially seen on my mission, being in a country where you're either Catholic (most non-practicing) or atheist, that it is so hard for people to believe in what they cannot see. People can be so convinced even when they're wrong! President Uchtdorf makes a promise that God will speak to those who seek with real intent. "I testify that, 'every ear shall hear it, and every knee shall bow, and every tongue shall confess' that Jesus is the Christ. Everyone will know. Pure faith for some and fearless doubt for others will one day become Perfect Knowledge."

I loved at the beginning of the talk when President Uchtdorf speaks of the wonders of the universe. It really made me thing about all of God's creations. I started to think about nature and how much I've always loved it. Even our world in its fallen state is still amazing! I can only begin to imagine the glory of heaven.

I know that God is a real, glorified, perfect being. I know that he loves us, more immensely than we could ever fathom. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church of Christ restored to the earth. I know that through, and only through, the atoning blood of Christ can we all receive eternal salvation. I know these things because I've sought with real intent and I've found by the power of the Holy Ghost! I know it and I can never deny it! I testify along with the 3rd prophet of the church, John Taylor, and many others, that it is "The Kingdom of God or Nothing!"

Elder Giforos

No comments: