Thursday, May 21, 2015

Best Mission EVER!

The best Mission President EVER!
Great week! We started it off with an awesome Zone Conference over in Vigo. For P-day the day before we went to a small island off the coast of Vigo. Apparently, National Geographic said that a beach there is rated as the best beach in the whole world! We hiked up to one of the lighthouse up top, took a whole bunch of pictures and then played American Football with our Zone on the best beach in the whole world! Best mission ever! It was a blast.

The Conference was really inspiring and spiritually uplifting. I had the opportunity with two other missionaries and our ward mission leader to perform a musical. The 3 of us sand "A Child's Prayer" accompanied by piano. It actually turned out really well! Those other two missionaries could sing!
We learned a lot about "Agents vs. Objects". We are the Agents! We talked about examples from the scriptures of useful objects used by righteous people. Such things as: The Liahona, The Urim and Thummim, the 12 stones of the brother of Jared, Laban's sword and many other examples. While the Lord gives us the opportunity to use many material things to live a righteous life and to advance his work, we need to always remember that we are the agents and not the objects though. We choose how to use the many wonderful things God has given us. Some of these things can be used evil. For example, the internet. It can be used for many wonderful things but also for many life-destroying things. Be careful and remember that we control it and it does not control us!

Probably one of the best things that happened this week was that I got some "Mykonos" beads from a member that was just there. I remember my dad had some of these and how cool I always thought they were. It's basically like a little bracelet looking thing with beads on it. All of the Greek men flip it around as the walk or talk. They know some cool tricks! I flip it around as I study or whatever I'm doing and I feel more Greek as I do it!

We had a great lesson at church this week about the Book of Mormon. We studied a talk given by President Ezra Taft Benson called, "Flooding the Earth with the Book of Mormon". He said that,
"There is a power in the Book of Mormon which will begin to flow into your lives the moment you begin a serious study of the book." We receive literal power as we study this book and apply the principles and teachings that it contains into our daily lives.

When Mormon compiled the Golden Plates he was in a "library" type of room and took from hundreds of records for the plates. None of the Nephites or Lamanites or anyone in those times read these plates that he compiled together. He put them together for us! Think about it. In Mormon 8 he said, "Behold, the Lord hath shown unto me great and marvelous things concerning that which must shortly come, at that day when these things shall come forth among you. Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing."

The Book of Mormon isn't just a book filled with history of the ancient Americas, it is a book that was prepared specifically for us! I would like to invite each of you from now on when you read any part of the Book of Mormon, to read it with these questions in mind, "What does this have to do with me?" "Why did Mormon put this in here specifically for the time in which I live in?" "How can these teachings prepare me to stand before God in the last day?"

Our attitude will change drastically when we understand that every passage of scripture in that book was written to help us in some way or another. For example, 3 Nephi 11 not only teaches us of the marvelous truth that Christ visited the America's after His resurrection but more importantly it teaches us how we (the Nephites) should prepare for the second coming. Chapters 5 and 7 teach us valuable truths of how to prepare for this great day! Let's flood the earth with the Book of Mormon and help all men to improve the quality of their lives by following its teachings!

I love my mission so much and I'm enjoying every minute of it! We are all missionaries in the work of the Lord! We put the badge on when we chose to be baptized. We commit every week when we take the sacrament. We were endowed with power when we went through the temple. And for those that were sealed in the temple you have an Eternal Companion to do this work throughout all eternity!

The church is true!

Before I go I wanted to share part of one of my favorite hymns. "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" verse 7.

"Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in his hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name he named,
"Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be;
Fear not, thou didst them unto me.""

Read all the lyrics to that song carefully. Joseph Smith asked John Taylor to sing this song hours before he was murdered. Let us not be ashamed of the name of Christ and show by deeds that we love him. This promise is that, "Ye shall have eternal life." (2 Nephi 31:20)

Elder Giforos

No comments: